Re: [FW-1] NAT problem with FW's external IP address and port selection

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Ilker Gokhan wrote:

> Sid Van den Heede wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to setup a firewall on a network where I have one public IP address
> > assigned.  I want to have incoming http requests forwarded to an internal
> > machine (private IP address).
> >
> > I have a rule that resembles this:
> >
> > Any -> firewall-public-address (http) Accept
> >
> > and a NAT rule like this:
> >
> > Any -> firewall-public-address (http) : Original -> internal-IP (Original)
> >
> > When I try to access the service, the firewall responds by resetting the
> > connection request.  The request never appears on the internal interface.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> May be you have an IP spoofing problem? or routing problem..Please check
>   both of these situation.
>
> Best regards,
> Ilker G.

The log file said it accepted the connection and translated the destination
address.

Tcpdump showed that the SYN packet was responded to with a RST packet on the
external interface.  The internal interface showed no traffic associated with
this connection.

I don't know what routing I could have done.  Typically with NAT you add a
route to redirect traffic addressed to the service's external address to its
internal address, something like this:

   route add 123.123.123.123 192.168.210.210

Now, that will work if 123.123.123.123 is associated with 192.168.210.210 for
all services.  What if I want HTTP traffic to go there, but SMTP traffic to go
to, say, 192.168.120.120?  The NAT table suggests I can do that, but how do I
route?

Is that why I can't get it to work, because I'd have to route the firewall's
own external address to this internal machine?

Here's another observation.  I managed to get a second IP address from the
provider.  I did the normal NAT thing for that address, but in my haste I added
this second IP address as an alias address (as in "ipconfig eth0:1 ...").  That
produced the same result.  When I realized my mistake and shutdown eth0:1, that
put it back to normal, and, of course, it worked fine.

So, this would seem to suggest that you cannot route an address that appears on
one of a firewall's interfaces to an internal host, and therefore you cannot
have a single IP address on a firewall's external network and expect to NAT
based on service to an internal host.

Does this seem to be the case?  Unfortunately, the documentation doesn't give
any clear indication of how to do NAT where a service is selected, in terms of
describing abilities and limitations.