Re: [FW-1] SPAM relay detection through FW-1

> We have the SMTP security server set up on our FW1, and it's properly
> configured to avoid relaying.
>
> Our SMTP server has anti-spam software that checks for mail coming from
> known evil hosts via the RBL and ORBS.
>
> Unfortunately, checking for open relays doesn't work because the point of
> last relay is always our firewall.
>
> Is anyone aware of a way to "fix" this?  Is there open relay checking
> software that can (reasonably) run on the FW1?  I realise that I can disable
> the SMTP security server and pass mail directly through to our mail server,
> but I sort of hate to do this.
>
> How do people normally accomplish this?  Any advice you can share?
Configure a proper mail relay and do not use CheckPoint for this. Their
Security servers are slow, buggy, and do not provide better security than
a good proxy or mail relay would. If you trust your mail server, and it is
on a DMZ, then just let it receive the mail directly. I would highly
recommend against that though and that you install a seperate dedicated
mail relay. Besides, it will scale a lot better than CheckPoint will.

-Don