From: James Schnack [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 11:01 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] Poor man´s Mgmt server HA II

I'll try to re-phrase my previous posting, and see if I make it more
"attractive" so as to get a reply (or at least shorter!)...  ;)

Say a Solaris 8 box running as a Mgmt station for 2 FW modules goes down. I
have copies of the needed files to rebuild that box on an exact same piece
of HW.

After everything is installed, and files are copied over to the new box, I
point my GUI client to it and get kicked out immediately with an
"Authorization Failure" message.

What could I be missing ? gui-clients and fwmusers file are there already.

TIA,

James

Hi,

I have a Mgmt server running VPN-1 NG FP1 on Solaris 8. Have an additional
Sun box that works as a backup (poor man´s Mgmt HA is what you´d call
this...), when required.

Scripts are run periodically on the active Mgmt server that copy several
files to the backup box (which is connected to the network, and has a
different IP address): objects, rulebases, users, etc. etc. If active Mgmt
server fails, a couple of scripts are manually run on the backup box which
"convert" it to the active Mgmt (including a change of IP address).

After doing this "conversion", I am unable to log in with a GUI client to
the backup box [which now impersonates the Mgmt server]. I am quickly kicked
out with an "Authorization failure" message.

I have copied over gui-clients and fwmusers files to the right location. I
thought this would be enough, but obviously it´s not.

Maybe there´s something different in the way NG validates GUI client users ?
Or am I missing something here, regardless of version ?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

J.