Re: [FW-1] Policy Editor hangs after upgrading to NG

My recommendation would be to install Windows 2000, make sure ip routing is configured (CP solution ID 55.379 or search the Secure Knowledge base for "how to enable ip forwarding in Windows 2000), then do a fresh clean install of NG FP1 (or FP2 if it's out).
After that, merge your objects and rules from 4.1 to the NG installation using the procedure in CP solution id sk13948.  Thats sk "one", not sk "L".  Search for "how to manually merge objects and rules from VPN-1/Firewall-1 4.1 with VPN-1/Firewall-1 NG FP1 if you can't find it with the solution id.

Make sure to download the default_objects.c file from the link in item 10 in the doc  and the "empty_objects.c"  in item 5.

>>> [email protected] 04/09/02 03:40PM >>>
I am trying to move my management server to a new Windows 2000 Compaq and
upgrade from FW 4.1 sp1 to FW Ng FP1.

I fwstop the old management server, then copy the files to the new server.

Then I install 4.1 SP3, and recopy the rulebases.fws, objects.C and
fwauth.* database files. Installing over the files does not see the
existing policies.

I then upgrade to SP5. All is fine at this point. I tested pushing rules
out to  of my one firewalls and it was successful. (yes, I reestablished
the putlic)

Then I upgrade to NG, The server installs fine, but when I launch the
policy editor and log into the server, the policy editor aborts the
program during "reading the rule base". I looked in all the log files and
do not see any error messages. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

=====
--
Derek C. Jones  - RCDD/LAN, CCDP, CCNA, MCSE, CNE
Scouter - BSA Troop 994 Woodstock, GA

http://taxes.yahoo.com/