[FW-1] Tale of SecuRemote over BellSouth aDSL

   For the last several months I have tried several thousand ways (by
request) to get various aDSL routers to work with SecuRemote in Dynamic Mode
.  By this, I mean using the "Dynamically" assigned  IP address from
BellSouth, and using the NAT function of the various aDSL router devices.
This was done purely in a effort to save $60 BellSouth charges for 5 static
IP addresses per aDSL line.   Doing phase 1 and 2 authentication goes well.
The Firewall does in each case gives the IKE key to the Bellsouth modems
dynamically assigned "Pubic" address.  This is verified by the log file
which will also show a drop of all packets coming from 192.168.3.130, the
SecuRemote client.  This is not unexpected since aDSL modems are not
routers.  Using the BellSouth $40 method of using a single %static IP
address does not work for the same reason; modems are not routers and the
routers will not NAT properly that is fully compatible with SecuRemote and
the Dynamically assigned (static) IP addresses etc.....  I have no problem
setting up a SecuRemote session using the Cayman 3220H with the 5 static IP
addresses without the need to do NAT (static end to end, simple math).
There is a serious problem using the LinkSys and Asante devices with the
static IP addresses.  They will work eventually when  connected and
reconnected several dozen times.  The problem is that these various devices
do not pick up the BellSouth routing information properly during  logon and
network negotiations.  Now I know that many may be wondering if my Firewall
has the right version and service pack, and if I opened the right ports, yes
to all points.  Now for those of you who claim to have SecuRemote working at
home using only the Dynamically assigned IP address from "BELLSOUTH"  answer
these few questions.   1)  Do you use BellSouth aDSL?   2)  Do you use PPOE
with a Dynamically assigned IP address only?  3)  Do you use a Speed Touch
aDSL modem with A LinkSys router doing NAT (numerous models) ?  and lastly,
4)  Do you use FW1/VPN1  4.1 SP5 with matching SecuRemote client and
establish a valid VPN tunnel into the corporate internal network.  If you
can answer yes to all these questions please fell free to reply, and tell me
by what simple means you have accomplished this small feat.  I  apologize to
those that have a ISP similar to BellSouth.  I have no way of knowing how
there networks are setup.  If you feel that your ISP is setup the same
please feel free to reply.  Yes,  I have read many similar articles
concerning this subject.   P.S.  Please, no rock throwing. I bruise easily
at my age.  Thank you for your help and time, steve.

If you want, email me directly at [email protected] or
[email protected] (yes, it is a long story).