Re: [FW-1] Newbie Question

> We purchased, through a bankruptcy sale, an entire operation that utilizes
> Firewall-1. I'm not sure why but Checkpoint is being less than helpful as we
> (I) attempt to figure it out. They have transferred the license but when
> asked about documentation, the only answer I have received is to check the
> knowledge base on-line.
The public knowledge base is actually rather usless.

> Now, as good as the knowledge base is, for a newbie,
> I am looking for a manual that covers everything or at least give me an
> understanding of the unit.
The prodct documentation that comes with the CD's is a good place to
start. If you get an eval copy of the software, the documentation is on
the CD.

> The one we have is on a NOKIA box and I don't
> even know what flavour of UNIX it runs for an O/S!
It runs a hacked version of FreeBSD called IPSO. It is a propietary
operating system. I seem to recall the current version was forked
somewhere around 2.2.5.

> Apparently I can get to
> the network on the other side by utilizing something called SecureRemote but
> I can find no step by step account of how to accomplish this.
SecuRemote is a VPN client for CheckPoint.

> If anyone knows of an on-line manual or how I go about getting a printed one
> - please enlighten me.
Managing CheckPoint by just jumping in is not adviseable. The softwware is
huge and has a million options. Setting it up wrong will compromise your
security and make having CheckPoint worhtless.

I would _seriously_ suggest you have a consultant come in and set
everything up. Participate during the installation and configuration
process. After things are set up and somewhat stable, try to get to a
CheckPoint training class. www.freebsd.org is a good reference for the
unix commands you may need. there are a couple of IPSO specific ones but
you can pick those up easily enough.

Finally, pick up Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy's book Essential CheckPoint
Firewall-1.

-Don