Re: [FW-1] any fw any drop as first rule - are we locked out?

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] any fw any drop as first rule - are we locked out?
  • From: Steve McNutt <[email protected]>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:05:10 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Rule 0 or implied rules, which is the settings in the policy->properties->security policy tab of the policy editor GUI.  You can see the implied rules by clicking view->Implied rules.

As you can see, the default settings allow quite a bit more than you might expect.  This is why experienced firewall administrators disable the accept firewall-1 control connections setting and use more specific rules of their own devise.

BTW, when you get a rule 0 log entry you now know where it came from.  You probably would have asked about that sooner or later but now you don't have to :-)

HTH

Steven McNutt, CCIE #6495, CCSE #6224, MCSE
President
LightningCloud Technologies