Re: [FW-1] SOS!!. can't telnet after upgrading!!

hi,

At 14:44 09.04.2002 +0800, Sim, CT (Chee Tong) wrote:
Hi..  I just upgraded remotely my remote branch checkpoint firewall from
checkpoint 4.0 to 2000. First I fwstop the firewall, then I change the
external IP which the license that tied to.  Then I just perform the Upgrade
using InstallU but I didn't install the license before reboot.  After I
reboot the interface come up, as I found I can ping the internal interface
again.  But I can't telnet !!!!!!!!!!  What happen?  It states could not
open a connection to host: Connect Fail.

Why?  What is the reason causing from your experience? I thought the fw
policy won't start before you install license??

well, the firewall has a new ip-address and there is no rule that allows this traffic to this new ip-address.

I am not at the city and can't look at the console, can only ask people help
to type command

do a fwstop - then you should be able to connect to the machine again. then install the license - the policy is installed even if you don't have a license installed.

if this module is managed remotely - change the firewall's IP-address and
install policies (will fail because module is not up) - then perform a
fwstart on the module, the module will get the new policy and it works.

if the module is managed local - ask somebody to do this changes for you.

-reinhard

-- Reinhard Stich, ASSIST [email protected] Internet Security AG, 1190 Wien, Nussdorfer Laende 29-33 Tel: +43 1 370 94 40 RS784-RIPE Fax: +43 1 370 94 40-10