Re: [FW-1] SMTP and Unknown Established TCP packet

I thought I had replied to this message, but did not see my reply posted. I
will try again... (sorry if was the only one that did not receive my
message! ;)

The answer is NO, it is not advisable. By definition, it makes the FW more
vulnerable to a DOS attack that would fill up the connection table (i.e. a
SYN flood, although there are other mechanisms to stop this which you
probably have already in place). I suggested it only as a workaround (I
should have added the word "temporary" to that!) while you checked for
network problems.

I insist on the following (quote from original):

---------------BEGIN_QUOTE---------------
If you want to make sure, download VisualRoute, install it on a laptop and
place it just outside the FW with a public IP. Then point VR to some of
the
problematic sites and you may eventually see routing loops or long delays
on
specific links on the way to them. They have a handy 30d eval version at
http://www.visualware.com/download/index.html.

Just my thoughts. Let me know how the story ends, when it does...! ;)

Regards,

J.

Thanks James. U did solve my problem to a greater extent. And increasing the timer (tcpstarttimeout) to 300 sec did work. but is it advisable to put a such a large value ? I am little worried there. Anybody has any comments?