Re: [FW-1] Testing IPSec

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 06:07:05PM +0000, James Schnack wrote:
> Nico,
>
> Did you try sniffing traffic on either end to confirm your suspicion ?
> Seeing them out of one box and not seeing them arrive at the other would be
> sufficint proof of your theory, I'd say.

The problem is I can only sniff on 1 end.  I can ssh to the firewall on the
other side but the Netscreen doesn't offer any sniffing capabilities by
itself and I don't have access to the physical network :-(

> You could use some kind of packet forger to "build" ESP packets that would
> travel from one end to the other (I've found a few at
> http://www.tlsecurity.org/unix/Assesement/PacketForging/)... but as for
> knowing *where* exactly they are dropped on their way... that sounds hard
> (assuming "their way" is through the Internet).

Well I guess I could play with the TTL field to check for ICMP packets.
Thanks I'll have a look at the URL!

Nico