[FW-1] SMTP and Unknown Established TCP packet

Hi,

I have very simple checkpoint installation with a mail gateway on DMZ.
most of my SMTP mail keeps dropping with the "Unknown Established TCP
packet" - both inbound and outbound. to rectify this  I have done the
following on the fw (ver 4.1 SP6 running on NT 4.0)

In objects.c I have increased the tcpstarttimeout to 120 sec from default
60 sec
On init.def file I have added ADD_TCP_TIMEOUT (25,3600)
(Both tips I got from phoneboy)

But my problem is not solved. The smtp drops have slightly decreased but
not significantly.

When I put the smtp traffic on fast mode my problem is solved. no dropped
smtp packets! . But I dont feel this is the correct way to go about it.

So

1. What else can I do rectify this problem other than activation fast
mode? I am willing try any wild idea.
2. If my only solution is to activate fast mode , then how risky is it (or
in other words is it not recommended) ?

Thanks in advance

Nishan