[FW-1] Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router

Title: Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router

To anyone still trying to get a BEFVP41 vpn router to set up a tunnel to a remote site.

After weeks of trying, receiving help from others on the lists, especially Robert Rondeau, who had successfully set up a DES tunnel using the product, I have managed to successfully create a 3des/SHA VPN tunnel.  The key to getting it working was accessing a hidden web-page on the Linksys box.  By default that address is:

192.168.1.1/IPSecAdvance.htm

If you change the LAN address on the linksys obviously the ip address above should be different.  Its my understanding that the address is case sensitive.  In my particular case I had to change the default DH groups during the two phases of key negotiation, as well as unchecking the "anti replay" parameter.

I have detailed in note form the setup that I created below for anyone who might benefit.

Malcolm McDuff

Names used for Objects

  • LS=linksys router
  • LSE=encryp domain of LS
  • FW=firewall object
  • FWE=fw encryp  domain.

  • LSE- Linksys Encryption Domain

  • Define nw object that matches subnet on LAN side of linksys
  • Location=External
  • Broadcasts=allowed

  • LS Object

  • Use LS WAN address for object
  • type=gateway (on General tab)
  • use LSE as encryption domain
  • Ike 3des/sha1
  • Check Support key exchange for subnets
  • enter pre-shared secret with fw object
  • Leave aggresive mode off (or alternately modify linksys config below).

  • FW Encryption Domain

  • Flatten to a single network such as 10.0.0.0/8, as the linksys setup only allows one subnet to be defined for the remote subnet.

  • Properties/Encryption Tab

  • Ike timeout to 3600
  • Ipsec timeout matched (might not be necessary)

  • CP Rules
         Source   Dest.   service    action

  • LS        FW      ike,ipsec  accept
  • LSE      FWE    any          encrypt
  • FWE     LSE     any          encrypt
  • Edit encryption properties to match desired setting
    • Transform= Encryption+Data Integrity (ESP)
    • Encryption Algorithm=3DES
    • Data Integrity=SHA1
    • Allowed Peer Gateway=Any
    • check Use Perfect Forward Secrecy

    NAT Rules

  • LSE   FWE  any  orig  orig  orig
  • FWE  LSE   any  orig  orig  orig

Linksys Settings

  • Local Secure Group = Subnet on LAN side of Linksys
  • Remote Secur Group = subnet that matches FW encryption domain
  • Remote Security Gateway = FW external address
  • Encryption=3DES
  • Authentication=SHA
  • Key Management= Auto. (IKE)
  • Check Perfect Forwarding Secrecy
  • Preshared Key= match preshared secret defined on the firewall
  • Key Lifetime=3600 seconds

  • Linksys IPSec Advanced config

  • 192.168.1.1/IPSecAdvance.htm (substitute device's actual address...case matters)
  • Set the following
  • Phase 1
      • Operation Mode=main (unless you want to try aggressive mode)
        Enc=3des
        Auth=SHA
        Group=1024
        Key Lifetime=3600 sec.