Re: [FW-1] Restrict telnet to port 25 via firewall.

Sure, you can restrict access to the SMTP port.  Be aware though that any
network/domain you restrict won't be able to send legitimate mail either.
If you are worried about external users impersonating you users, disable the
VRFY function and do name mapping to help (this is not a fool-proof
solution) mask legitimate usernames.  If you worry about users from your
organization impersonating other users you will need to keep good logs and
be prepared to investigate.

You can do authorization with ident but then you still fall prey to the
legitimate vs. illegitimate user issue.  Ident info is easy to spoof.

I admit to being a bit behind the times when it comes to email but there may
be something equivalent to source routing verification with newer mail
servers.  You may be able to create this situation with a border mail relay.
For example, if you have a mail gateway and a mail host you can have the
mail GW only accept mail for domain.com from hosts not within mail.com.
Likewise, the mail host will only accept mail from internal hosts and the
GW.

Chris