From: Greenman, Ed PSC [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 13. mars 2002 15:44
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] How to clear the internal hosts count on NG

Sammy -

I have not used NG, and I now have an unrestricted license, but I used to run into your problem all the time when we had a license for 256 IPs.  I used to clear out the files like you did, but would still get the message about too many internal hosts, whereas in fact I had well under the limit.  I was told at the time that FW-1 was counting the hosts it saw, but I was able to disprove that.  I unhooked the firewall from the internal network one night, deleted the files, etc. (it seems to me there was an additional step or two), then restarted the firewall.  The message about too many internal hosts re-appeared instantly, even though there were, at that point zero internal hosts.

Then I realized that FW-1 is probably calculating the number of potentially available hosts from the information NT had about our internal networks, which it gets from the IP info for the interfaces.  For example, at the time we had a class C network on one internal network (but not completely used), and a second subnetted C network on a second internal interface, on which only about 3 IPs were used.  FW-1 saw this as potentially having more than 256 hosts, and reported the error.

I then removed one of the interfaces in NT, and the error message disappeared.  I did this test several times to try to prove to our Checkpoint support folks how this worked.

The good news, with us anyway, is that the error message did not seem to matter - the FW-1 software went on working fine.

Thanks.

Please note my new address:  [email protected]