Re: [FW-1] FW-1 Rulebase

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] FW-1 Rulebase
  • From: Steven Schuster <[email protected]>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:03:15 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Before diving in to a firewall, do a lot of reading first, get truly paranoid, then set up your rules.  Read RFC2196, read Hacking Exposed, read every security book you can find and get a feel for best practices (probably what you are looking for by this posting).  You probably won't find anyone willing to take on the "what rules should I put in" on this list, as every network is different, and should be viewed accordingly. (not trying to start a battle....)

Good rule of thumb...be as granular as possible....allow machines, not entire networks when possible.

If you are really unsure, hire a consultant...that is there job, to learn your network, and help you secure it.

I am not a consultant, so I am not pushing my own services, but I have been one, and when in the private sector, I have employed them.

my $.02

Steve Schuster
Midwest ISO
Security Analyst