Re: [FW-1] High availability question

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] High availability question
  • From: Kevin Martin <[email protected]>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:44:24 -0600
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

You could use routing protocols such as OSPF to re-route traffic from
one site to the other if a failure occurs.  There will be a hiccup in
the traffic during the failover but, unless the traffic is highly
session oriented, this should not be an issue.  If you've got production
applications that will get wiped out during one of these failovers
(since you can't realistically maintain state between geographically
diverse firewalls) then you need to implement either HA pairs of
firewalls at the different sites or load-balanced/shared firewalls at
the different sites so you can have state-sync going locally and then
your users won't see any glitches (I've used Stonesoft's product for
this but I hear that Rainfinity's product is very good as well).

Good luck.

Kevin