[FW-1] SMTP with Resource is being rejected when rule says drop

All,

I am having an issue with a firewall rule.  We have the SMTP security server set up and that is working the best it can.  However, when we get spammed we create a SMTP resource with the sender filed like *@spamhost.* under the match tab.  We have a rule above the SMTP accept rule that says any going to any SMTP w/ resource "spam group" drop.  But in the logs it says it is rejecting the message.  I know about the vanish option, but A) how do I get the edited .pf file to push because every time it gets recompiled and edited back to drop and B) why is it rejecting instead of dropping.

Thanks

Stephen