Von: Bergs, Martin [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2002 10:29
An: [email protected]
Betreff: [FW-1] Strange ICMP drops

Hi all,

we use Check Point FW-1 both in Version 4.0 and 4.1. The 4.0 FWs are running
with StoneBeat as a Cluster and the FWs under 4.1 run as a StoneBeat
FullCluster.

On both FW Systems we have a lot of log entries like this

Action: drop
Service:        diverse port higher than 1023
Source: 255.255.255.255
Dest:           NAT IP of internal server
Proto:  ICMP
Rule:           0
S_Port: 769
Info:           reason: local interface address spoofing

As we investigate the traffic with a sniffer on the segment where cliennts
are located we can see packets with the following structure:
DLC Header:
Src:    MAC address StoneBeat IF
Dst:    MAC address of Router
IP Header:
Src:    255.255.255.255
Dst:    NAT IP of internal server
ICMP:
Src:    NAT IP of internal server
Dst:    IP of internal client workstation
Type:   3, Destination unreachable
Code:   1, Host unreachable

It look like the fw cluster is creating all these ICMP packet by itself,
because when we sniffer on the segment where the server is located, we can't
see any ICMP traffic with Type=3 and Code=1. Otherwise the routing is okay
and the server is reachable from the client side.

Many thanks to all who give me an explanation.

Yours Sincerely / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Martin Bergs