Re: [FW-1] NAT first or Route first?

> Question for the masses:  On FW-1 v4.1, running on Windows NT 4.0, which
> gets done first: NAT or OS routing?  I can't see how you can do routing
> first (since the source or destination of the packet may change during NAT),
> but I have an odd situation on my hands suggesting that the NAT is being
> done afterwards.
OS Routing is done first. This is the reason that you need to add routes
when doing static NAT with CheckPoint. Static NAT will not work unless the
router knows to send data for the NAT'd address through the firewall
either through a static ARP entry on the router or through proxy ARP on
the firewall. The firewall itself needs a route to the public address
through the internal address otherwise the traffic gets routed the wrong
way. Finally, you need to configure NAT in CheckPoint itself.

NG has an option to switch this behavior and do NAT first.

You may want to pick up Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy's book "Essential
CheckPoint Firewall-1" which explains NAT and CheckPoint very clearly.

-Don