From: Keigo Hanaoka
To: [email protected]
Sent: 2/15/02 7:26 AM
Subject: [FW-1] log directory access

hi there,

could someone give me some help about log directory access of gateway
module ?

i am worried about a crisis of log directory.

my question is "how does the fw-1 gateway module work if it cannot
connect to log directory?"

here is the description:

a fw-1 gateway (mgmt is another place) of my client's network has
three HDDs.

two of them are mirrored for system and fw-1 gateway module.
third one is only for syslog and fw-1 log directory.

i am sure about:
1. fw-1 gateway is supposed to send its logs to the mgmt module first
   as described on $FWDIR/conf/masters.
2. when it(#1) was impossible, the gateway module took its logs
   to local fw-1 log directory.

now, here is my concern:

if the connection with the mgmt module disconnected on somehow and if
the third HDD is also clushed on somehow, can the gateway module
work without any access to log files ?
( it should be the "fwd" down, probablly)

i've got to be concerned about this because 2 of 6 HDDs
(2 IBM P-series(RS6000)machines)and 1 motherboard were clushed
in this month on the site.

so, if anyone could give me some information, please help me.

now, i am thinking about editting some shell script to give
the gateway module third choise of log directory, but i have
no idea how i can make gw kick the shell script from, where i
should put the shell script on, and how the mgmt and gateway correct
those information after restoration.
i feel it's so far from reality.

does anyone know ?

thanks in advance

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Keigo Hanaoka <[email protected]>
Infrastructure Development Group
Network Solution Div./System Integration Dept
LAC Co.,Ltd. <http://www.lac.co.jp>
Phone +81-3-5531-0394/Fax +81-3-5531-0395
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL