Re: [FW-1] UDP forwarding

If I'm correct, the Cisco VPN client is the Safenet/Soft-PK VPN client
rebranded, or so I'm told.  NetScreen, among other vendors, also uses this
product, rebranded.

It sounds like your troubled machine (the one with the VPN client installed)
is a laptop or some other manner of system that is changing physical
locations.  The SafeNet client decides whether to start doing VPN
encryption, along with its 'I'm on the outside' assumption, based on the IP
address of the box you're trying to talk to.  Obviously you don't need to be
talking to the FW if you're sitting on the inside of the net, but SafeNet
doesn't know that unless you tell it.

Think of it this way:

"From Outside" packet flow:

Client (VPN encrypted) --> FW external (encryption, translation, yadda
yadda) --> FW Internal --> Internal Host

"From Inside" desired packet flow:

Client (unencrypted) --> Internal Host.  Note the FW is not involved.

"From Inside" not-so-desired packet flow:

Client (VPN encrypted) --> FW internal --> woops, probably no policy for
handling this on the firewall, packet gets munched...

To my knowledge there is no perfect solution to this, due to the way the
SafeNet client works.  You *can* tell the client to only do its thing when
talking over a specific adapter (like the PPP adapter for dialup), and the
rule will stick.  But if you're using LAN-borne connectivity on both inside
and outside locations, the only solution is to disable the client and/or its
rules when inside the firewall, and to re-enable it when you're outside.

Now, I may have totally misunderstood your topology, forgive me if I have,
but if not, hope this helps. :)