Re: [FW-1] OT: Sun Ultra5 boot

At the prom level (ok prompt) just type boot diskx (replacing x with the tid # of your disk) ie. /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 would be disk3.  This will force the box to boot off the disk you want.  To make the changes permanent, you will need to edit the vfstab file and change the tid number in all three spots.  BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR VFSTAB FILE BEFORE YOU EDIT IT!

[email protected] 02/12/02 06:45AM >>>
Hello all,

   As you can see from my signature I am supposed not to have a lot of Solaris experience ... and this is the
case ;-)) I know this question is of track but maybe someone can help me, or direct me to a Sun/Solaris
mailing list.

   We have an Ultra5 with two disks in it. From what I understand the 1st one, Internal one, is an IDE and the 2d one,
external one, is a SCSI. We have Solaris 2.6 and CP 4.1-SP5 on the SCSI disk. Now I decided to install Solaris 8
on the IDE disk to test NG ... the installation is done, but I need to reboot from my SCSI disk now ... and I am unable
to find the syntax. Doing a probe-scsi-all tells me Target 3 - Unit 0 is available as an IBM type disk.

   From the command prompt I see:

  boot-device    disk:a /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@1/SUNW,isptwo@4/sd@3,0:a disk net

I understand this as boot from device alias disk partition a first, then try /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@1/SUNW,isptwo@4/sd@3,0:a
then disk then network. Disk device alias points to /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0 which is the IDE disk.

I booted the Solaris 8 disk, and checked the /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s0 ... it points at the SCSI id 3 disk, I even mounted that partition
and saw the data (ouf I didn't overwrite it)

  So what is the syntax I should use to boot of this SCSI disk, known as c1t3d0s0 under the OS ?

Met vriendelijke groeten - Bien à vous - Kind regards
Guy ROELANDTS
EMEA GS Internet Expertise Centre - CCSA & CCSE
Compaq Software Engineer - Belgium
E-mail : [email protected]
Tel: +32(02)729.77.44 (options 3 - 3 - 1)
Fax: +32(02)729.77.65
This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information,
and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally
addressed. The content of this message may contain private views and
opinions which do not constitute a formal disclosure or commitment
unless specifically stated. Should you receive this message by mistake
please inform the sender immediately.
[...]

   From the command prompt I see: