Re: [FW-1] NAT and "too many internal hosts"

Have you specified the correct external interface in the configuration?
If FW-1 knows which interface you have as "External", it will not count
addresses "belonging to" that interface as internal addresses.
Have you checked the file EXTERNAL.IF?

> (note: we licensed the external interface directed to the internet!)

This should not make a difference. This is the recommended practice,
but many, including myself, have licensed the internal interface, with no
trouble at all.

> this means all the external official source ip addresses will
> be seen on my INTERNAL interface and the counter will be increased.

What makes you say that?

Remember that the FW will see this as a source of a packet coming to the
internal network
from another network, it won't see it as a source address from that internal
interface.

It's what you designate as the external interface, that matters.

Cheers,
Anders :)