Re: [FW-1] NBT-happy 4.0SP8 FW-1 on NT

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Washington [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 7. februar 2002 22:36
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] NBT-happy 4.0SP8 FW-1 on NT

>Somehow this traffic is bypassing my diagnostic rule #1, and getting out of
the firewall anyway.  If it is going >out via the implicit policy we're
discussing, it's bypassing the top explicit rule in the rulebase to do it
(and >bypassing being logged in the process).

I don't remember all the details, but I saw this on 4.0 as well.
I think it was the implicit rules for ICMP that I couldn't seem to get
working properly.
I added the implicit rules "before last", and then explicit accept/drop
rules to the top of the rule base.
Still, FW-1 seemed to allow ICMP in any direction, in accordance with the
implicit rule.

I finally threw out the implicit rules, and redid my rule-base, including
explicit rules for anything
that was preciously covered by Rule 0.

Works like a charm now.

>the helpfile says the only way to log implied rules is to handle the
>traffic in question with explicit rules instead.

Good idea.
Get rid of all the implicit rules. Recreate them explicitly.

Cheers,
Anders :)