Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint vs. Cisco VPN Client

> The Cisco VPN software 3.5 now provides for pushed security policies on the
> Windows client. You can require various brands of firewall on the client
> and actively monitor to make sure the firewall software is still running.
CheckPoint supports this with Secure Client (At additional cost, just like
what you would incur by buying personal firewalls), only with CheckPoint,
the firewall administrator sets the policy and not the home users.

> Also, the Cisco client does a great job of tunneling IPSec over UDP or now
> TCP to get past NAT devices that don't pass IPSec.
I am not sure why people don't believe that CheckPoint supports UDP
Encapsulation however they most definitely do.

> The Cisco client software is free (unlimited copies) with purchase of a
> concentrator and support.
As is SR with the purchase of VPN-1.

> The Cisco client also works on some *nix variants and MacOS X, but those
> platforms don't support the pushed firewall policies.
CheckPoint has a beta MacOS client out which will hopefully end this
shortcoming of SR. They have no Unix client, however which is a shame.
Then again, trying to support 6 different Linux kernel revisions, FreeBSD,
NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, HPUX, AIX, and SCO would be nearly impossible.
The Unix world already has SSH also. While it might be a little extra
trouble to support a seperate SSH server, the larger number of supported
OS's might more than make up for the trouble.

> Consensus on the web seems to be that Checkpoint has a better interface for
> managing multiple concentrators / servers, though.
-Don