Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint vs. Cisco VPN Client

A lot of vendors now use UDP encapsulation for VPNs behind a NAT
device.  I'm pretty sure Nortel supports this, and so does Cisco.  We
use Redcreek and Ravlinsoft, which supports this fine also (sending this
mail from a RFC1918  IP box via an IPSEC tunnel through my Linux
iptables NAT firewall at home).

The newer SecureClient stuff from CP also seems to support NATed clients
also.  From reading over some sales stuff, it also looks like the new
stuff supports an 'office mode' which seems similar to the way the
Ravlinsoft client works.  It establishes an IPSEC tunnel with the
headed, then sets up a virtual interface on your box which is bound to
the IPSEC tunnel.  This interface gets assigned an IP from your company
via some means (DHCP for Ravlinsoft, not sure for CPNG), and appropriate
routes to your corporate network are established through this
interface.  This is nice because it gets rid of any odd routing issues
when your enterprise has multiple internet connections.  Makes things a
lot easier to manage since to your network, your remote VPN users just
look like internal LAN users.  But I digress :-).

- Jim