Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint vs. Cisco VPN Client

Most VPN solutions (other than CheckPoint) support both their own VPN and
Microsoft clients (PPTP and L2TP/IPSEC). It really comes down to two
reasons: 1. Supporting Microsoft native clients, 2. IPSEC issues.

IPSEC currently only supports shared-secret and digital certificates for
authentication. Any other method is proprietary, hence the reasons why
everyone releases their own clients that support other modes such as XAUTH
(which I believe was dispproved by the IETF), mode config, etc. Since PPTP
and L2TP/IPSEC actually have been standardized, this is one case in which
Microsoft supports a standard and everybody else does it proprietary. This
is also the reason why Microsoft did not release a remote access IPSEC VPN
client but instead released it by using L2TP for authentication and IPSEC
for the encryption piece.

CheckPoint does support IPSEC in LAN-to-LAN mode, so you can use Windows
2000/XP in that mode by configuring the firewall for each client manually.
You're going to have to know the clients IP address, and if it changes, you
need to update the firewall. Also I believe that Windows 2000 by default has
shared-secrets disabled and you need to make a registry change to enable it.
The reason why is that shared-secret is only supported in the IPSEC
specification as an interim solution while people are rolling out digital
certificates. Plus shared-secrets are clear-text, the other reason why
Microsoft doesn't leave it on by default.

The reasons to stick with a custom client over Microsoft ones are actually
pretty easy. One is the support for alternative authentication methods, such
as SecurID next token and change PIN, basic authentication, etc. But what I
feel is the primary reason is client control. Most of the VPN clients out
there can be somewhat configured or controlled remotely by the server.
CheckPoint has SecureClient in which a security administrator can write
security policies and force it upon the client to make sure the client is
secure before allowing access (great feature, minus the quirks it has).
CheckPoint is probably ahead of about everybody on this and it's probably
the best reason to stick with it if you already have it rolled out. Other
clients may have use methods of control, such as diabling split-tunneling,
forcing the client to not save users passwords/PIN numbers, etc. When you
use a client made for the VPN box you get these extra features, when you use
the native Microsoft client you lose these features and have no idea if the
clients computer is secure or not (e.g. the user can control things locally
like split-tunneling instead of a security admin at the server level).

Since IPSEC basically only really supports LAN-to-LAN and is seriously
lacking remote access features, the IETF is working on new standards for
supporting remote access. When these standards are finalized, then you'll
probably see VPN clients finally compatible with each other. For now though
you're stuck with native clients with features, or Microsoft without the
features (sounds strange to say 'Microsoft without the features', doesn't
it?).

Ron Atkinson