From: Don [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 2:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint vs. Cisco VPN Client

> Okay, we have a new boss how loves Cisco and he thinks it is the answer
> to all. So, he has already ruled that all Site-to-Site VPNs are to be
> replace with Cisco gear. Now he is asking about the client side of
> Checkpoint. So, I need some strong facts as to why Checkpoint has a
> better VPN setup for the client side than Cisco. Unfortunately I am not
> up on Cisco products to much, but I hear that you can use Microsoft's
> IPSEC client to connect to a Cisco VPN device instead of using the Cisco
> client. I think this is the main reason he wants to use Cisco. Can you
> use Windows 2K to connect to Checkpoint or do I have to use the
> Checkpoint Client?
The Win2k client can be used, but I believe it needs to be set up as a
site to site VPN with a static IP and can not be used to replace SR.

Also, SR has become a lot more flexible and a lot more powerful recently.
Deploying SR with the packaging tool is now almost a trivial task.
CheckPoint can authenticate against RADIUS as well as ACE, LDAP, and a
variety of other servers making it more flexible. Cisco only permits
RADIUS and TACACS+ I believe.

While I like the Cisco product line, I think they still have a lot of room
for improvement.

-Don

<<Disclaimer>>

This electronic mail is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named
herein. Unless otherwise specifically stated, the views contained and
expressed in this electronic mail are strictly those of the individual
sender and are not the views of the Company or any of its Directors or other
employees. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or coping of
this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic
mail in error please immediately notify us by return electronic mail and
delete this electronic mail from your system.