Re: [FW-1] Email Problem

I don't know how...we don't use Exchange here, so I'm not familiar with it.

Maybe someone else will jump in and help you out.

>>> [email protected] 01/21/02 10:24AM >>>
Yes I can ping alpha on the 192.x.x.x from beta (and viseversa)

As for configuring Alpha to relay to Beta like you say.... how do I do this?

Thanks again...

I changed the Subject... my fault I typed in the wrong one before :)

Sam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Longenbaugh [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 21 January 2002 15:48
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] IDS and Hot Standby

can you ping the 192.x.x.x address for beta?  Can you configure Alpha to
relay to Beta via the 192.x.x.x instead of with a MX record?

>>> [email protected] 01/21/02 09:09AM >>>
I have a firewall with three network adapters. The first is defined as
external, the second as WAN and the third as LAN.

Ext for the purpose of this email does not matter about the IP

WAN has a 213.x.x.x range

LAN has a 192.x.x.x range

On the LAN there are a number of machines... two of which are important
these are Alpha and Beta.

Alpha has a physical address of 192.x.x.1 and a Nat of 213.x.x.11
Beta has a physical address of 192.x.x.2 and a Nat of 213.x.x.12

Both computers are exchange clients (Alpha is Exch 2000, Beta is 5.5)

The problem is we need to send email from alpha to beta, but the MX record
for beta points to the external (nat'd) address and this cannot be changed.

It appears that alpha cannot ping beta's Nat'd IP address because they are
on the same side of the firewall.

Is there any way to sort this out? Does anyone know how to put in a route or
whatever I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh and by the way alpha is Win 2k and Beta is NT4 (both server editions)

Thanks again

Sam.