From: Eric Appelboom [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 2:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] Using Cisco IOS firewall feature set

I am looking at complimenting our FW-1's with switches installed with the
Cisco IOS firewall feature set.

I would like to implement this on 6500 switches also using layer 3 switching
so inspection can be done on switches and not on fw nic.
We primarily would like to reduce unessesary internal to internal traffic.

We will use the Cisco Policy Manager version 3 which appears to be similar
to the FW-1 GUI and not commandline.

There doesn't appear to be many people using the IOS firewall feature set
and it appears quite apt and manageable.
I am aware of the TCP\UDP only inspection limitation of CBAC.

Does anyone used the IOS firewall in production and can give advice?
Are there any peformance comparisons?

Regards
Eric

*** Disclaimer: The information in this email is confidential and is
intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not read,
forward, print, use or disseminate the information contained in the email.
Any representations (contractual or otherwise), views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
employer or any of its affiliates.

<<Disclaimer>>

This electronic mail is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named
herein. Unless otherwise specifically stated, the views contained and
expressed in this electronic mail are strictly those of the individual
sender and are not the views of the Company or any of its Directors or other
employees. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or coping of
this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic
mail in error please immediately notify us by return electronic mail and
delete this electronic mail from your system.