Re: [FW-1] [vpn] Nokia Crypto Cluster <-> Cisco 1720

Joel,

        You are correct.  There are some issues regarding this IKE
implantation especially with Cisco.
But lets go to the IKE 101 the SA stage.

An IPSec connection consists of 1 IKE SA (Security Association) and at least
2 dependant IPSec SA.

These SAs (Both IKE and IPSec) have an expiration:
        a. The IKE SA expires every 24 hours (Cisco Default)
        b. The IPSec expires every 1 hour (Cisco Default)

Both IKE and IPSec SAs are identified by a unique SPI (Security Parameters
When used SPI are a Stateful relationship between 2 peer points.
This state has info regarding but not limited to:

                                                 a. Common secret keys
                                                 b. Security Parameters
                                                 c. Peer Identity

This state information are established during:

        a. The main mode negotiation (MM) for IKE SA (1 SA).
        b. The quick mode negotiation (QM) for IPSec SAs (2 SAs).

The problem is when the IKE SA expires (24 hr) it does not renegotiate a MM
until a new IPSec SA (1 hr).
Therefore,
When a new IPSec SA is negotiated (QM every hour) before the IKE SA expires
(every 24 hours).
As soon as the IKE SA expires the link will go down until the next IPSec QM
(The following hour)
The sending host will send traffic into a black hole for the length of the
IPSec SA lifetime (1 hour by defaults)
until new QM is negotiated.

According to Cisco this has been identified as a bug by Cisco and will be
addressed in a future release of IOS.

I hope this make sense.

Regards,

Alberto C.