[FW-1] FW-1 4.1 MOTIF Policy Editor problem / show stopper

I just completed a new install of FW-1 4.1 with SP2 on a Sun Ultra-10
running Solaris 2.6 5/98.
I intended to do an upgrade from Sun Solstice FW-1 3.0b, however that was
unsuccessful, and now I am trying a new install. To keep our site running, I
have reconfigured an older machine as our production firewall, using the
original firewall system's ip addresses, but it is overloaded and
unreliable. The machine I'm installing to uses the same ip addresses, but is
currently disconnected from any LAN so that I can complete the configuration
offline. This means, I think, that I have to use the Motif fwpolicy program
to configure the system, since it is inaccessible over the LAN from my WinNT
system. However, I cannot get the fwpolicy program to run.

In the text below, the machine name and what might be sensitive numbers in
the program list have been altered for privacy.

When I start "fwpolicy" on the U10, in a normal terminal window, there is no
response for just over five minutes, then the following error displays:
Wind/U Error (247): Failed to connect to the registry on server morton

Other programs such as admintool open immediately from the same window.

The programs running after rebooting, as far as the firewall is concerned,
at least those I know about, according to ps are:

/opt/CPfw1-41/bin/ela_proxy
/etc/fw.boot/fwboot bootd
/bin/csh -fb /opt/CPfw1-41/bin/runELA_Proxy /minInterval 60 -maxRetries 1
/opt/
alertd -A -l
fwm
fwd

After starting fwpolicy, these two programs are also running:

/opt/CPfw1-41/clients/bin/fwui
/opt/CPfw1-41/clients/bin/windu_clientd

Two minutes after starting fwpolicy, the following program also starts:

windu_registryd42 -vers 2 -prog 803502675 -d / -k

Five minutes, ten seconds after starting fwpolicy, the error displays
(repeated from above):

Wind/U Error (247): Failed to connect to the registry on server morton

I have gone over these known possible problems with our vendor:

1.
Licenses were accepted and no error messages about missing licenses are
displayed, either with the firewall module, mgmt, or gui. When I run fw
printlic, two valid Motif licenses are displayed, along with the license for
module and mgmt. I have the two Motif licenses, and tried one with no
improvement, then added the second with no change.

2.
I have run, in /.cshrc:
unsetenv LC_TIME
unsetenv LC_CTYPE
unsetenv LC_NUMERIC
setenv LANG C

3.
We are using the default color scheme in the Sun CDE interface

So. Can anyone assist on this problem? I am pretty much up against the wall
here, and may have to revert to the Sun 3.0b version I am trying to upgrade
from.

Thanks,
Chuck Sterling

Chuck Sterling
System / Network Administrator
NASA White Sands Test Facility
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USAMagic is REAL, unless declared INTEGER