Re: [FW-1] Force FW1 to fragment encrypted packets on Solaris

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:53:57AM -0800, Yim Lee wrote:
> Running 4.1 SP5 on Solaris 2.6
>
> Having problem with SecuRemote establishment, my
> support vendor suggested the following fix:
>
> 1. Open the file /etc/system with a text editor
> 2. Add the following line at the end of the file:
> set fw:fw_ipsec_dont_fragment = 0x0
> 3. Reboot the machine
>
> This will force FireWall-1 to fragment encrypted
> packets on Solaris.
>
> Is there any security risk in doing this?

        No, all the (fragmented) packets are encrypted - there's
        just more of them. Not a security problem.

        You may see a performance hit though since the Solaris box
        will need to do packet re-assembly to get the data. This is
        usually expensive in terms of CPU.

        I wonder why your support said this - I'd run a sniffer
        and see if your packets are exceeding the 1500 byte limit
        with the DF (Don't Fragment) flag set. Also check
        www.phoneboy.com if you haven't already

                                        alan