Re: [FW-1] Load averages on the Nokia platform

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Load averages on the Nokia platform
  • From: Matthew Brown <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:04:33 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Sam,
    If you have any questions about what the command uptime or the similar command w tell you then go to the freebsd man page and it will explain it, especially the page for w.  From my understanding, and it could be wrong, the three numbers issued from the uptime command or the w command give you and I quote,

The w utility prints a summary of the current activity on the system,
     including what each user is doing.  The first line displays the current
     time of day, how long the system has been running, the number of users
     logged into the system, and the load averages.  The load average numbers
     give the number of jobs in the run queue averaged over 1, 5 and 15 min­
     utes.

    So, basically the three numbers are the average number of jobs waiting in the run queue averaged over the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes.  If you want to monitor the processor utilization of your firewall then go the man pages and research the vmstat command.  It has several forms of syntax, the one we use on an hourly basis is the following:

vmstat -w 5 -c 10

    This will perform vmstat 10 times, waiting 5 seconds in between, which is the recommended wait time in between process checking.  Anyway, I got all of this info from going to the nokia support page and searching their knowledge base, which then pointed me to the man pages for freebsd.  Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew Brown
Information Technology
Chick-fil-A, Inc. - www.chick-fil-a.com