Re: [FW-1] Remote node versus standalone

Hi Tia,
I have just done something very similar. Its a bit of a pig (depending on
how much you need to change), but it does work.
On the "phoneboy" faqs there is a nice list of all the files you need to
move if you want to migrate a rulebase (sorry can't rememebr the reference
exactly just now) but if you can locate this you basically need to copy the
"objects.c" and "rulebase..." to the NT platform. What I did was write a
few VB scripts in WORD to edit the rules (ours are a bit large) but its not
too much trouble as its all text based.
Once these rules are in the right dirs on NT the NT Management Stataion
should pick 'em up ok and let you download to the newly converted remote
Inspection Engine.
As for converting the Inspection Engine.... If you rename the
"$FWDIR/conf/product.conf"  to  "$FWDIR/conf/inst.conf" then run "cpconfig"
the Nokia thinks its an first-time config run (although it doesn't lose the
details you have like licenses !) and you can reset the box from standalone
to remote. Don't try to edit the product.conf file directly though -
doesn't work !
I hope this helps,
regards, Gordon

>From x fw1 <[email protected]> on 13 December 2001 09:27:45
To : [email protected]
Subject : [FW-1] Remote node versus standalone

Hi

We have Master firewall in central site which controls all remote node
firewalls (VPN-1 4.0 NT4, soon to be VPN-1 4.1 SP5(?) on Nokia IP440).

Before the central firewall is changed I have to install a standalone
-don't
ask!- (a new VPN-1 4.1 SP5 Nokia IP440 - yes another one) into one of our
remote sites.

Later this firewall should be brought 'back into the fold' and be a
standard
remote node - managed from the central site.

I am trying to find out pitfalls, my assumptions are:-

1. I will need Management Console license for remote site (even though it
will eventually be managed remotely) - bit of a downer on the budget....
2. The process of changing from 'standalone/mgt console' to remote node
will
be straightforward (did I hear the words fly and pigs somewhere ?)

Any comments ?

TIA