Re: [FW-1] Email Virus Protection

FWIW I block all incoming executables so virus scanning is not as big of an issue.
It is by nature a reactive technique, which depending on how heavily your enterprise
may rely on email, may not be good enough. Downtime for us is big $, so
it's a small price to pay in our case. (YMMV!)  It's some added admin overhead to release the "ok"
stuff manually when needed, but in general the policy has worked wonders for me
and most folks I work with understand what's at stake. If something new hits that we have not seen
before , I can block it in minutes either on the FW or the mail proxy. How many times are
executable files related to your actual ongoing business operations? It's a Q worth asking IMHO.

PS: Great info from everyone btw, thanks!

- Joe

BY wrote:

> If you have a choice as an Exchange Administrator, would you prefer to
> protect your Exchange environment by installing an e-mail
> filtering product (gateway) at the DMZ area instead of installing an
> anti-virus mail product on the machine running Exchange Server?

I would recommend running both.  In the past we have only had gateway
protection (MailSweeper for SMTP) which worked fine until the recent
proliferation of Outlook/MAPI aware viruses.  These tend to swamp the
Exchange server and consequently take e-mail down for all of your users.

Just over 12 months ago, we installed Trend ScanMail for Exchange and
have had less of a problem, however Trend seem to take several hours to
get patches out for new viruses, such as the recent GONER virus, by which
time most of the damage has already been done or your server has been
offline for a long time which may or may not be acceptable depending
upon your business.

Regards,

Paul Toyne
Security / Network Management, ISAS