[FW-1] Simplifying SecureClient failover functionality.

Hello.

We currently use SecureClient with a FW-I 4.1
firewall.  Since we don't have a high availability
license, we use a second firewall as a cold spare --
it's connected to the management station to receive
updated policies, but its other interfaces aren't
plugged in unless the primary firewall fails.

We've run into a few issues that are making Secure
Client VPN failover a more manual process than we'd
like, and are wondering if there's an easier way.
Here's what we've run into:

1) The first issue involves each firewall's IP address
in the 'General' tab of its properties.  For security
reasons, the management station communicates with the
firewalls (fw-1-a (active) and fw-1-b (standby)) on a
non-routable isolated segment (10.10.10/24).  In the
'General' tab, when doing an SNMP get, it will of
course automatically retrieve the firewall's
10.10.10.x address, rather than the external address.
Since the IKE key exchange is taking place with
whatever IP is listed here, we have to put the
firewall's external, routable IP address in the box.

Since both firewalls have the same external IP (since
one is a cold spare), we figured we could just put the
same external IP in the 'General' tab for both
firewalls.  What we found, however, is of course the
pushed policies only go the live IP, not the standby
FW. We also tried creating a new workstation, putting
the firewall's external ip address in it, and putting
it in the Secure Client rule.  Right now, the IP we
have entered for the cold spare is a non-routable
address on the management station network, so we'd
have to change this manually in the event of a
failover.  Also, please note, we have disabled the
implied rule "allowed firewall control connections",
and explicitly allow the Secure Client connections.

So, is there a way around this that we're missing?  Is
it possible to somehow change the IP that new policies
are pushed to (i.e., make the policies go to a
different IP than what is listed in the firewall's
'General' tab)?  If we could tell them to be pushed to
each firewall's management station interface, I think
we'd be good to go.  Or, is it possible to configure
the IKE key exchange to go to, say, the management
station's routable IP address as opposed to the IP
address in the 'General' tab of live firewall?

2) Relatedly, if we can't change the IP that policies
are pushed to, we've found that we have to have a
static route on the management station that says
traffic destined to the firewall's external IP address
(i.e., pushed policies) should be sent to the
firewall's management station interface.  This poses a
problem in the event of a failover since the cold
spare has a different management station address --
the route would have to be changed manually. Any way
to avoid this if the IP to which policies are pushed
to can't be something different than the IP found in
each firewall's 'General' tab?

3) Finally, there's an issue with the SecureClient
policy.  In the Policy Server Properties window, the
policy can only be installed on individual hosts as
opposed to, say, a group of hosts.  This means that,
to failover VPN functionality, we have to manually
change this setting to install the policy on the
backup firewall. Other than installing two policies
(one on each firewall; we want to avoid this because
the user then has to choose which policy he/she wants
to use, which is confusing), is there a way around
this?

Any help that anyone can offer is very much
appreciated.  I thank anyone who had the patience to
read all of this.

Thanks!