Re: [FW-1] FW-1-MAILINGLIST Digest - 3 Dec 2001 to 4 Dec 2001 (#2001-63)

I'll see if I can answer some questions...

1) There are known problems with LinkSys routers.  Make sure firmware is
upgraded and it is allowing UDP port 500 for the IKE key exchange.  We have
had some users end up having to swap hardware.
2) I'm pretty sure Hybrid mode doesn't work unless you have the Cert.
Authority working.  In addition to the "fw internalca certify" command, you
also need the "fw internalca create" command to create the CA.  Once the CA
is created, you can "certify" each FW module.  In your example, trek is the
name of your firewall, while "o=boston, c=us" are just organization and
container labels.  You can change it to location and city or country
("o=Atlanta, c=US").
3) The ":dns_xlate (true)" and ":dns_encrypt (true)" statements go in the
userc.C file on the SR client.  You'll need to create $FWDIR/conf/dnsinfo.C
and modify $FWDIR/lib/crypt.def as well.  This is only if you want to use
Encrypted/Split DNS (DNS from your office network rather than from a public
DNS server on the Internet.

Doug Johnson
Internet Security Systems
Sr. Network Engineer