Re: [FW-1] Best IDS??

Good review,

"Version 6.0 of RealSecure addresses most of the issues that we found
ourselves struggling with in version 5.5. We were able to evaluate 6.0
only in the lab and thus couldn't seriously bang on it."

I would agree that 6.0 fixes a lot of problems they had before, but I
think it should be said that 6.0 is a radical change from the way the
old product worked. In 5.5, you had to have at least one MASTER CONSOLE
running to log events from sensors. This was not a service, but a GUI
APP. If it crashed, your sensors would spool up events until they ran
out of space. Then you get the "buffer full" messages (how did they have
space to que those if buffer was full??? heh)

RealSecure 6.0 has the job of collection of logs seperated into a
separate task "collector service". There can be several collectors, so
it's more scalable. The gui is not much different, and I think it's
mostly good for a "what's up right NOW" use. Because the logs are in a
SQL database, it is easy to script more complicated analysis of logs
such as correlating firewall logs, ids logs, and system logs together or
whatever else you need to do.

Other comments:
1) "RealSecure can only log packets for Telnet, ftp etc." (sic)
This is not the case in RS6.0, however logging RAW packets to a SQL
database was a painfull experience for me.
I recommend using RealSecure to trigger NAI Sniffer to do the packet
captures, and their decode is the best I have seen anyway.

2) "RealSecure peformance is questionable for enterprise use..." (sic)
The RS5.x sensors were CPU and memory hogs. In RS6.0, I have noticed
vast improvement in the network sensor area over previous releases.
Would be nice to sress test the new version for some real numbers.

3) "No ability to build custom/user-defined events..." (sic)
In RS6.0, you can actually build custom events using one of the "known"
protocols and with regular expressions, however you can't just write an
event that has access to all aspects of the packet received. RealSecure
is ignorant of the need to be able to filter certain protocols like 50,
47 etc...

RealSecure is expensive, especially with a lot of nodes.
If money is the object, and you have good engineers/skills then you can
buy a LOT of linux boxes running snort for the same money and get pretty
good results.

Would be nice to play with Dragon some, alas I have no employers will to
purchase the product.