Re: [FW-1] Best IDS??

Product Lit for CSIDS Blade for Catalyst 6000!

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/6kids_ds.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl E. Mankinen [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 30, November, 2001 16:22
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Best IDS??

Hardly!, my understanding was that you had to run multiple IDS blades to
even approach the backplane capacity.
Do you realize the Cisco IDS blade has a maximum of 100Mbps traffic it
can monitor? It uses SPAN and or VLAN monitoring, and last I saw you
couldn't put 30 blades in a 6500 chassis! Was NETRANGER ever a best of
breed product?

Read this:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/6kids_ds.h
tm

As far as RealSecure bandwidth problems, I never encountered these.
(provided the sensor was a beefy box)
For raw packet decode, tying an NAI DSS Sniffer to RS events works
nicely! I would rather use the sniffer interface anyway.

Has anyone tested IDS solutions at gigabit speeds and have any realworld
experience to report?

Disclaimer

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the Azlan Group plc. If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Azlan Group MIS
Helpdesk by telephone on 44 (0).