[FW-1] Nokia Resolution 9772

Howdy folks.  If you are a Perl guru or just want to hear my Rant for 2001
Q4, read on!

My case got closed (Subject: Resolution 9772 will not function (Nokia Case
77960,)
but not resolved.  Actually, the fix is that the resolution now/today begins
with a disclaimer:

This script is provided as-is for quick solutions or as examples. Some may
justify further development.
 Nokia does not guarantee their operation and in no way assumes liability
for effect as a result of their use. They are not supported.
If the original author or Perl gurus want to help the user community out on
this one, here is some of the relevant issues with the script known as
Resolution 9772.  First, I'd like to thank Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy (a.k.a.
PhoneBoy) for helpfully discussing this with me, including pointing out that
in his book "Some of what this script collects can actually be done from the
management console itself (e.g. looking at the firewall's tables). Page 133
in my book documents several examples of this (and yes, I know the Nokia SEs
either have a copy of the book already or *will* have it soon). "

I'd also like to thank Jerald Josephs (CISSP, CCSE/Senior Technical Advisor
- Global Support and Services/Nokia Internet Communications)for taking the
time to make Nokia's official position clear:

"Most of the scripts we have in our possession, which are not yet in the
Knowledge Base, come from customers like you. No one at Nokia wrote them. We
consider them to be thoughtful contributions, but they have not been QA'd.
We collectively do not know if each script works or not or even if the
script is one that we would recommend.

"They are offered in an attempt to provide a working example.

"It is left as an exercise to the user to determine if the script does what
they think it should do. If it doesn't, the user may choose to modify the
script or not use it. That's it."

This makes clear that not only is Perl on IPSO unsupported, but so are any
shell or perl scripts that you might download from them that are intended to
perhaps be run on a non-Nokia/Checkpoint functional device, i.e., might
instead be run on a dedicated machine to gather stats on or across a large
distributed install base.

Finally, I feel compelled to mention that whenever you single a few folks
out for recognition or thanks, you always leave too many of the other folks
out of the list.  Thanks for answering my many questions go out to Brian
Lightfoot, Jeremy Whistance, Jason McFarland (all of UM Healthcare), Jody
Brazil (Fishnet Security) and the rest of the many folks I am guilty of
failing to mention -- you know who you are.

I don't think I can post the code since a support contract is required to
get at it, but let's get on with its problems: