Re: [FW-1] Reliability of FW-1 with Linux

Jorg wrote:

> I'm interested in any information about the reliability, any
> installation and operation flaws, performance issues and general pros
> and cons about running FW-1 (4.1 or NG) together with
> Rainwall on Linux.

After experiencing big problems with FW-1 4.1 on Windows NT whereby
it would crash the firewall on a regular basis we decided to try out
FW-1 4.1 on RedHat Linux.  The performance increase with running on
Linux was immediately noticable and rather than the CPU running at
the 100% mark that Windows NT had been, we never found it above 2%
utilisation.

The only installation issue was concerned with rebuilding the kernel.
FW-1 said it required the SMP kernel, however we couldn't get it to
work with SMP compiled in at all.  We recompiled without SMP support
and FW-1 worked a treat.

We used it between two 100mb LAN segments with a peak throughput of
around 10mb/sec passing through the firewall.

The firewall performed flawlessly until we had a power failure in our
comms room.  Unfortunately we had plugged the monitor into the UPS
rather than the PC, thus we had a dead PC.  Also when we came to restore
the system from the backup tapes we found that the backups had been
failing (despite the backup software telling us it had been successful).
It still only took around 8 hours to completely reinstall Linux, Firewall-1,
the objects (around 300) and the rulebase.  Had the computer been correctly
plugged into the UPS we wouldn't have had the above problem anyway.

Regards,

Paul Toyne