Re: [FW-1] Distributed FW/VPN & Mgt Modules

Hi,
I'm sure, you are not the first Administrator separating Management and
Firewall  ;-)

Chris H wrote:

> If I want to move from a single box running both the
> FW/VPN module and Management module to an appliance
> running the FW/VPN module and a separate box running
> the management module, how do I secure the MGT server?

Administrators often don't remember, that the Management-Module itself is
no Firewall - but it's very recommended to make this machine sure. If an
attacker "has" the Management of all Firewalls, the Administrator has
lost seriously.
Maybe Check Point Secure Server is the right choice for you. It's like a
Firewall, but without routing and for securing exactly one computer. It
has to be licensed separately, but the price is not soo high and the
security of the Management should be worth this.
"Protecting" the Management-Module by hiding it - I don't think, this is
the right way. Just think of internal attackers, co-workers in your
private network...
Hope it helps,
best regards,
Matthias