From: Yanek Korff [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 8:45 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

I'm testing out CP4.1 SP5 on Linux RH7.0.  I seem to have gotten everything
configured the way I want it and am starting to run some scans to see what I
can see.  Well, what I see is: nmap -sU -P0 ip_addr causes the machine to
instantly crash with a kernel panic, or in some cases, reboot.  I'm not
great at troubleshooting kernel/module troubles so any help would be greatly
appreciated.  IF you happen to have a Linux CP FW-1 box you could run nmap
against, I'd love to know your results (incl OS/kernel info).  Might want to
do this off-hours, though.

Without CP-FW1 running (/etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall1 stop), I cannot cause a
kernel panic with a UDP scan.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Hardware:
Dell Dimension XPSB800r
128MB RAM
3Com EtherLink III 3c905-TX (three of them)

Have been able to reproduce this problem with kernels:
2.2.19-7 (CUSTOM)
2.2.16-20 (GENERIC  RH 7.0)

Tail end of the error message (after register & stack dump):
Code: 8b 41 08 3d 2b 2f c3 a5 0f 85 c6 00 00 00 8b 41 0c 85 c0 74
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

-Yanek.