From: LEFEVRE David [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] VPN with DES AND 3DES

Hello all,

I've searched for documentation, but nothing.

I've got the following problem :
I have 2 firewalls with a 3DES license for VPN encryption.
The first one accept to choose 3DES in the enxryption properties in my
rules,
the second one denies it.

As the 2 machines are differents systems, I can not compare the 2
installations
(one Linux / One solaris).

On the solaris one, in the encryption properties I can only choose between
CAST/DES/DES-40CP/Null
and a "fw printlic -k" gives me a 3DES license.

First question : does anybody know why I do NOT have 3DES in my choice list
????

Second question : each rule applies on a group of workstations, is it
possible, with
the same firewall based VPN, to have different encryption levels ???

I mean, is it possible to have :

rule 1 : GRP-VPN-BASE / FAR-AWAY1 / Encrypt (DES)  /  Log  /  FW_for_VPN /
every time
rule 2 : GRP-VPN-BASE / FAR-AWAY2 / Encrypt (3DES) /  Log  /  FW_for_VPN /
every time

in the same rulebase ?

Thanks for all.
Best regards
--
David LEFEVRE
CARDIF - Architecture et Sécurité Opérationnelle