[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
MARTIN CRABTREE
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 8:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] CVP Security Server problem

Jeremy,

We are running the exact same thing as your downgraded version but on
less of
an NT box.  While we do have the occasional problem site, most do work
and
realplayer does upgrade.  We have HEAVY Internet usage and it is proving
to be
no real load on the NT box (Single processor, 512 Megs).  Have you tried
setting the "trickle" feature on in Viruswall?  Normally the Trend Micro
Viruswall accepts the downloads and holds them until it has the whole
package
and scans it for viruses.  Sometimes this causes time outs in the
browser or
client software.  With the trickle feature turned on, it releases a
small
amount of data to the client (you can set amount) for an amount taken
in, this
keeps the connection alive.  At the client you'll see the download going
real
slow, then all of a sudden (when Viruswall has all the info and has
scanned
it) it just dumps it all down to the client.  Your client goes from 5%
to 100%
in a matter of seconds (approximate :-) )

There is one thing to look out for with trickle turned on though.  When
download is happening, code is being downloaded to the client before all
of
the package is checked at the Viruswall box.  If a virus is detected it
puts
up the display and stops the download.  However, it does not delete the
code
that has been trickled from the client, if the portion of the code that
had
the virus made it to the client AND the user double clicks on it AND
they have
disable the desktop Antivirus, they could get infected.

For the video and audio type files, you can have the Viruswall not scan
them.
So far no one has found a way to write viruses into them, YET!

Martin Crabtree
Firewall Administrator
Network Services
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of S.C.