Re: [FW-1] H323 and Checkpoint FW

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] H323 and Checkpoint FW
  • From: "Young, Roger" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:05:59 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Jeffrey,

Thanks for this.... obviously you've been down this road. We have some
folks that would like to test this from desktop setups.

Roger

At 10:11 AM 11/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
There are 2 reasons H.323 and firewalls don't get along:

1 - The traffic requires a negotiated 'connection' on an unspecified high
UDP port. So a firewall might have to be configured to allow any UDP traffic
above port 1024. This is not good, obviously, from a security standpoint

2 - H.323 records the hosts' IP address in the payload of the packet. This
causes big problems if NAT is involved, since the H.323 packets will contain
the private IP and not the translated public IP.

Luckily, FW-1 can handle both of these problems by via the process noted
below:

We have been using h323 with success over 4.1 sp3, but we had to do the
following:

1 - Don't use the predefined h323 service, use your own, (e.g 'h323_new'):

match: tcp,dport=1720
Pre-match: h323_prematch_new
Prolog: h323_prolog_new

This could also require alteration of the file FWDIR\lib\h323.def, but the
service packs took care of this for us. Check the CP knowledge base for
details (10043.0.749) if you aren't at SP3 yet. The h323.def
file must contain the proper code for the h323_prematch_new and
h323_prolog_new functions.

2 - make sure the traffic is being allowed by a rule that specifically names the 'h323_new' (or whatever you called it) service. Rules that allow the initial connection via an 'any' condition will fail, since they can't hande the dynamically assigned high UDP port.

3 - Do not use the custom h323_new service and the predefined h323 service
in the same policy.

4 - If you are using NAT, you must use static one to one NAT for H.323
traffic if incoming connections are required.