Re: [FW-1] Changing firewall object IP address

Mike,

I suggest you get a copy of the Stonebeat manual and read it
thoroughly before you go making any changes to the config
on those firewalls.  Currently, they are set up exactly the way
Stonebeat recommends; changing the config in the way you're
proposing is unnecessary (there are better solutions to the
problem you're trying to solve), unsupported by Stonebeat
(AFAIK), and likely to cause you other, larger problems.

Stonebeat classifies the external and internal interfaces as ONICs
(Operative interfaces), and the management interface as a CNIC
(Control interface).  The control interface can also be the heartbeat
interface, or you can have two separate interfaces there (one for
heartbeat and one for control).  We usually just used one CNIC
for both heartbeat and control.

Unless something has changed in Stonebeat HA since
the last time I set it up, you have to have the CNIC separate
from the ONICs.  The manual clearly states that CNICs are
dedicated to communication between the firewalls and/or the
management station, and that the IP address of the firewall's
hostname should be bound to the CNIC.

The people who originally set up the HA weren't crazy - they
were following directions.  I'm not a Stonebeat guru, but I've
set it up about a half-dozen times, and that has always been
the recommended config.

If you can't work out the proper rules / routing to access the
logs on the management station from your internal network,
one way around that is add a second interface to the management
station and connect that NIC to the internal network...  (But
you'll have to determine whether that poses security risks in
your environment.  Getting Checkpoint training and setting
up the access via the firewall rules is a much better option.)

BTW, the reason that the heartbeat / control net is on
registered (by which I assume you mean "not RFC1918") addresses
may be to support your VPN connectivity - if your VPN connections
terminate to the IP address of the firewall's hostname, the
IP addresses used on the CNIC have to be routable since they're
the endpoint for the VPN.  We've had to do that in the past, too...

It sounds like you have a standard Stonebeat HA with VPN
support setup - I strongly recommend that you either get Stonebeat
training or at least read the manual before you try to administer
it, let alone make changes to it.  What you're suggesting, to
move the firewall IP off the CNIC, will at the very least break
your VPNs as currently configured, and may well cause problems
with your HA communication (and hence your failover), too.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Standard disclaimer:  the content of this message represents my personal
views, not those of my employer.

>>> [email protected] 11/05/2001 12:18:49 >>>
Thanks for the reply but I have to change the architecture because I have
done what you said and I cannot use the GUI client to get the logs from a
management server on the heartbeat network either. I've checked the rule
base very, verycarefully - it's not the rules stopping it from working.

I hear you on the backup issue. I'm quite good a doing the backups before I
change stuff!

The real problem is that the heart beat network is a registered address.
Crazy people did the original install. I'm left to pick up the pieces.

Thanks again,

Mike H