[FW-1] SMTP Security Server Rejecting/Ignoring Mail

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] SMTP Security Server Rejecting/Ignoring Mail
  • From: Dante Mercurio <[email protected]>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:45:52 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Checkpoint 4.1 SP3 running on Windows 2000 SP2.

The issue is that the SMTP security server seems to ignore some incoming
email messages. According to my log, often an incoming SMTP packets are
denied by my cleanup rule. It seems it blows by my SMTP rule (16) and I
see an SMTP denied by rule 25 (clean-up). When this happens, the sender
eventually gets a non-deliverable message back. Also in the log, there
are packets denied by the SMTP rule that show nothing but a 'len' at the
end. Using a standard SMTP pass through, this never happens. The queue
is working fine, when the message gets to it. I've checked, and these
messages never get that far.

The SMTP security server has been configured to strip *.exe and *.vbs.
Also, it has been configured to accept non-RFC compliant addresses (when
email addresses are not sent in brackets<>). This problem was occuring
before either was put in place however, and were put in during the
troubleshooting process.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

M. Dante Mercurio, CCNA, MCSE+I, CCSA
Consulting Services Manager
Continental Consulting Group, LLC
www.ccgsecurity.com <http://www.ccgsecurity.com>
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>