[FW-1] HTTP security Server

We are having issues with nimda and users machines attacking Internet address.  In trying to combat this effort we would create an HTTP w/ resource and find machines that resembled the nimda code string.  The problem is the FW then becomes a Proxy and slows web surfing down.  Does anyone know how many web daemons need to be spawned for 17,000 users if the FW is to be the proxy?  Also what kind of horsepower would we need for that?